Child Custody Focused on a Better Tomorrow

Vancouver Child Custody Attorney

Providing Compassionate & Reliable Legal Services to Families in Washington

Determining child custody and arranging a fair parenting time schedule are often considered the most important decisions parents need to make before finalizing their divorce. This can be an incredibly emotional experience, as both parents naturally want to maintain healthy and strong relationships with their child. When parents struggle to reach an agreement, the court can legally make a final determination based on the best interests of the children. However, over time, many decisions made during the divorce process may no longer reflect the child’s basic needs or best interests. Fortunately, Washington law allows parents the legal right to request child custody modifications so long as the changes ultimately benefit the children.

You don’t need to struggle through this legal process alone or pay excessive legal fees just to safeguard your relationship with your children. At Pacific Cascade Legal, our child custody lawyers in Vancouver can guide you through the mediation process or use innovative negotiation techniques to help you and your spouse reach an agreement about this important issue. If an agreement can’t be reached, our resourceful legal team is prepared to fiercely fight for your custody rights and legal objectives in court.

Contact our family law attorneys Vancouver at 360-506-6332 to learn the various ways our firm can safeguard your custody rights.

Is Washington State a Mother State?

If the parents are married, child custody in Washington is based on what would be in the child’s best interests. However, if the parents are not married, custody automatically defaults to the mother unless the father establishes paternity.

At What Age Can a Child Choose Which Parent to Live With?

In Washington, minor children have no legal say in which parent they'd like to live with or visit. A child can only choose which parent to live with when they reach the age of 18 or are otherwise emancipated.

In other words, if you have children under the age of 18, then they cannot decide which parent they want to live with. If your children are emancipated, however, then he or she may life with whomever they want.

What Is an Unfit Parent in Washington State?

A parent is considered unfit if he or she fails to provide proper guidance, care, or support. This could mean:

  • Not setting age-appropriate limits;
  • Not understanding or responding to the child’s needs;
  • No substantial involvement in the children’s life prior to petitioning for legal guardian;
  • Refusal to compromise or communicate with the other parent;
  • A history of child abuse or domestic violence; and/or
  • Problems with substance abuse.

How Do I Get a Parenting Plan in Vancouver, WA?

A parenting plan is a court order that outlines which parent the kids will live with; how much time the kids will spend with each parent; which parent will make major decisions about the children; and how the parents will resolve major disagreements. Parenting plans are drawn up when filing for divorce or legal separation, filing a petition to decide parentage, requesting a change of custody, or petitioning for non-parent custody.

If both parents agree to the terms, you can file a proposed parenting plan for court approval. If the parents cannot agree, a judge will decide on a parenting plan after a hearing or trial. For help creating a parenting plan that works for you and your family, consult with the family law lawyers at Pacific Cascade Legal in Vancouver.

Retain Experienced Legal Guidance & Representation

When it comes to custody determinations, you don’t want to take any chances and accidentally agree to an unfavorable condition. During your appointment, we can discuss your specific situation and develop a personalized case strategy that can best achieve your legal goals.

Key Custody Issues We Can Discuss Include:

  • How the court determines the best interests of the children, and why you should consider these important factors when pursuing custody
  • If a joint legal custody agreement is appropriate for your family’s circumstances
  • How support provides for the children’s basic needs
  • The difference between legal custody and parenting time orders
  • How a parenting plan can provide a noncustodial parent with sufficient time to maintain a healthy relationship with their children

Secure a Positive Case Outcome with Pacific Cascade Legal

Our Vancouver family law attorneys understand that this is an incredibly emotional and stressful time for you. The last thing a parent desires is a court order that legally restricts the time they can spend with their children. If you require legal guidance during your divorce or want to pursue a post-divorce custody modification, contact Pacific Cascade Legal today. We can provide you with the legal representation and advocacy you need.

Call Pacific Cascade Legal at 360-506-6332 to schedule a free consultation.

A Reputation for Skilled, Dedicated Advocacy

Former Clients Share Their Experiences With Our Firm
  • “Supportive and professional team”

    - Maria Lucia Gomez-Greenberg
  • “Helpful and professional team”

    - Former Client
  • “Honest and Professional”

    - Former Client

A Firm You Can Trust

A Pillar in the Legal Community
  • Client Partnerships

    We understand the value of having professional support and connected community. For this reason, we’ve assembled a complimentary and extensive referral list, which includes a range of professionals who not only perform services related to our clients’ cases, but also include every area of their lives.

  • Client Relations

    You are our priority from the moment you call our office, to long after your case ends. We have a client care system in place to ensure you feel connected, supported, and prepared every step of the way.

  • Client Match

    Your case is unique, and so are the individual strengths and expertise of our experienced team of lawyers. We take the time to understand the intricacies of your case so that we can match you with the attorney who is best equipped to advocate for your rights.

Let Us Help You Reach a
Better Tomorrow

Call 360-506-6332 or fill out the form below to get started.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.