Portland Slip-and-Fall Accident Attorneys
Slip-and-fall accidents are among the most common reasons that people file personal injury claims and premises liability lawsuits. Despite how common they are, our lawyers at Pacific Cascade Legal take every slip-and-fall accident case seriously. We want to build your claim to be the strongest that it can be, and that requires personalized attention and commitment.
On This Page:
- Common Causes
- What To Do After a Slip-and-Fall Accident
- Common Injuries
- Who Can Be Held Liable?
- What Compensation Can I Recover?
- Let Us Advocate for You
Bring your case to a winning team of Portland slip-and-fall accident attorneys. Call (503) 573-5566 now.
What are Some Common Causes of Slip-and-Fall Accidents?
Pacific Cascade Legal has decades of combined experience working on slip-and-fall accident cases. We know how to investigate a claim to find its cause, and therefore, determine who is liable for it. Various pieces of evidence from eyewitness statements to security camera footage can help us in our investigations, too.
Common causes of slip-and-fall accidents include:
- Loose cables or wires
- Slippery tile floors and spills
- Uplifted carpeting
- Unkempt rugs
- Darkly lit pathways
- Missing handrails for steps
- Cracked sidewalks or asphalt
- Rain-slicked entryways
What Should I Do After a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Slip-and-fall accidents are often fiercely contested by defendants. In such cases, the defense will usually ask the question, “Did something happen to make the plaintiff fall, or did the plaintiff fall entirely on their own?” To counteract this basic yet resilient defense strategy, you will want to come forth with as much tangible evidence as possible, backed by convincing arguments from a slip-and-fall attorney. The steps that you take immediately after a slip-and-fall accident are the most important for getting useful, tangible evidence.
After a slip-and-fall accident, you should:
- Call 911 if you were seriously injured.
- Report the injury to the property owner as soon as possible.
- Fill out an official accident report if your fall happened on a commercial property.
- Take photographs of the hazard that made you slip or trip.
- Get the contact information of any eyewitness to your accident.
- See a doctor for a checkup within 24 hours, even if you feel fine at first.
- Talk to an attorney to see if you have a claim.
What Are Some Common Injuries Caused by Slip-and-Fall Accidents?
Slip-and-fall accidents don’t just cause aches and sprains. In some cases, what seems like a simple slip-and-fall can result in serious or life-changing injuries, especially if an elder is the one who fell. Pacific Cascade Legal and our Portland slip-and-fall attorneys focus on cases that involve serious injuries. We can use our extensive experience and resources to pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other losses.
Serious injuries that can be caused by a slip-and-fall accident include:
- Bone fractures
- Head injuries and TBIs
- Back, neck, and spine injuries
- Soft tissue and joint injuries
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Our law firm can work on slip-and-fall claims filed against residential and commercial defendants. If you slipped while in a grocery store, retail store, office space, or any other commercial space, then you could see if the commercial property owner is liable for your damages. The same is true if you slipped and fell in a residential housing complex because such complexes are usually owned or managed by a company or corporation.
On the other hand, if you slipped at a friend’s house, for example, then the claim might feel more personal. People often don’t want to sue their friends, even if they know it is justified. You should remember that in a slip-and-fall accident claim involving a fall at someone’s house, the claim is usually filed against their homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, not them specifically. You shouldn’t feel guilty for using their insurance policy as intended.
What Compensation Can I Recover from a Slip and Fall Claim in Portland?
If you've been involved in a slip and fall accident in Portland, Oregon, you may be wondering what compensation you can recover. Slip and fall cases can result in various injuries, and understanding the potential compensation available to you is crucial in determining the worthiness of your claim.
- Medical Expenses: One of the primary forms of compensation you can seek in a slip and fall claim is reimbursement for your medical expenses. This includes costs associated with hospital stays, emergency room visits, diagnostic tests, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and any other necessary medical treatments. It is essential to keep all medical records and bills related to your injury to support your claim for compensation.
- Lost Wages: If your slip and fall accident resulted in you missing work, you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages. This includes both the income you have already lost due to your inability to work and any future loss of earning capacity caused by your injuries. To support your claim for lost wages, you will need to provide documentation from your employer confirming your time off work and any corresponding pay stubs.
- Pain and Suffering: You may also be eligible to seek compensation for pain and suffering. This type of compensation is more subjective and typically aims to account for the physical pain, emotional distress, and diminished quality of life you have experienced as a result of your injuries. The amount awarded for pain and suffering can vary significantly based on the severity of your injuries, the extent of your recovery period, and the long-term impact on your daily life.
- Property Damage: In some slip and fall cases, there may be property damage involved. For example, if you slipped and fell due to a hazardous condition on someone else's property and your personal belongings were damaged as a result, you may be able to recover compensation for the cost of repairing or replacing those items. Be sure to document any property damage and keep receipts or estimates for repair or replacement costs.
It is important to note that the specific compensation you can recover from a slip and fall claim in Portland can vary depending on the circumstances of your case, local laws, and the strength of the evidence you present. Consulting with an experienced attorney is crucial to:
- Understanding your rights
- Evaluating the value of your claim
- And navigating the legal process effectively.
Let Us Advocate for You – Call Now
The first steps in a slip-and-fall accident claim are often the most difficult to take. Make things simpler for yourself by letting Pacific Cascade Legal in Portland handle everything. We can learn more about your accident during an initial consultation. Please call (503) 573-5566 to get started.