Salem Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Representing Local Injured Cyclists
If you've been injured in a bicycle accident in Salem, Oregon, our team of experienced attorneys is here to help. With years of experience representing injured local cyclists in injury claims, we have the knowledge and resources to navigate even the most complex cases. Let us put our skills to work for you and help you get the compensation that you deserve after a bicycle accident.
Dial (503) 427-9033 or send an email to request an initial consultation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, from driver negligence to poor road conditions.
Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Driver negligence: Many bicycle accidents are caused by drivers who fail to yield to cyclists or who drive recklessly. Some common examples include drivers who make illegal turns, fail to signal when turning, or pass too closely to cyclists.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are distracted by their phones, passengers, or other distractions can easily miss seeing a cyclist on the road.
- Dooring accidents: Dooring accidents occur when a driver opens their car door into the path of an oncoming cyclist, often resulting in serious injuries suffered by the cyclist.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, debris, and uneven pavement can all pose hazards for cyclists and increase the risk of an accident.
- Lack of bike lanes or paths: Without designated bike lanes or paths, cyclists may have to share the road with cars and trucks, increasing their risk of being hit by a vehicle.
By understanding these common causes of bicycle accidents, cyclists can take steps to protect themselves while on the road. This might include wearing bright clothing and using lights when riding at night, following traffic laws and signals, and staying alert for potential hazards. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else's negligence or recklessness,contact our Salem bicycle accident attorneys today for help.
Bicycle Accident Claims Against Bike Manufacturers
If a bicycle accident was caused by a defect with the bicycle itself, it may be possible for the cyclist to file a claim against the manufacturer of the bike. However, it's important to note that not all accidents involving defective bicycles will give rise to such claims.
To have a claim against a bicycle manufacturer, the cyclist must be able to prove the:
- Bicycle had a defect at the time it was manufactured or sold;
- Defect caused or contributed to the accident; and,
- Cyclist suffered injuries and/or damages as a result of the accident.
How to Prove Liability in a Bicycle Accident Claim
Proving liability in a bicycle accident claim can be challenging, but it's essential to establish fault to recover compensation for your injuries and damages.
Evidence that may be used to help prove liability in a bicycle accident claim includes:
- Eyewitness testimony: Eyewitnesses who saw the accident occur can provide valuable testimony about what happened and who was at fault.
- Police reports: Police reports often contain important information about the accident, including statements from witnesses and any citations issued to the parties involved.
- Medical records: Medical records can document the extent of your injuries and provide evidence that they were caused by the accident.
- Expert opinions: Experts such as accident reconstruction specialists or medical professionals may be called upon to provide their professional opinions on how the accident occurred or the extent of your injuries.
- Photographs or video footage: Photographs or video footage of the accident scene, damage to vehicles or bicycles, and injuries sustained can all serve as powerful evidence in a bicycle accident claim.
It's important to gather as much evidence as possible following a bicycle accident, as memories can fade and physical evidence may be lost over time. If you can’t document the scene due to limitations caused by your injuries, then please contact our Salem bicycle accident attorneys right away. We can investigate the scene as soon as possible.
Bicycle Accident Injuries & Damages
Common injuries suffered by cyclists in bicycle accidents include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are one of the most serious types of injuries that can occur in a bicycle accident, and they can range from mild concussions to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Even if you were wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, you may still suffer head injuries.
- Broken bones: Cyclists often suffer broken bones in accidents, particularly in their arms, legs, and collarbones. These injuries can be painful and require extensive medical treatment.
- Road rash: Road rash is a type of abrasion injury that occurs when skin rubs against pavement or other rough surfaces. It can range from mild scrapes to more serious wounds that require surgery.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries are among the most severe types of injuries that can occur in a bicycle accident. They can cause paralysis or other long-term disabilities.
If you've been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else's negligence or recklessness, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. The amount of compensation owed will depend on the extent of your injuries and how they have impacted your life.
Contact a Salem Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you've been injured in a bicycle accident in Salem, it's important to speak with an experienced attorney who can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve. At Pacific Cascade Legal, we have a proven track record of success in complex accident cases. Our attorneys understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a bicycle accident can take on your life. That's why we're committed to providing compassionate and personalized representation every step of the way.
Don't wait to get the help you need. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Salem Bicycle Accident FAQ
What should I do if I was in a bicycle accident?
If you've been involved in a bicycle accident, it's important to seek medical attention right away, even if you don't think you've been seriously injured. You should also contact the police and file a report. Be sure to exchange information with the driver of the vehicle involved, including their name, contact information, and insurance information. Finally, contact an experienced Salem bicycle accident attorney who can help you protect your rights.
Who is liable for my injuries in a bicycle accident?
Liability in a bicycle accident will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. In many cases, the driver of the vehicle that hit you may be liable for your injuries if they were negligent or reckless. However, there may be other parties who share liability as well, such as manufacturers of defective bike parts or municipalities responsible for maintaining roads and bike lanes.
How much compensation can I get for my injuries in a bike accident?
The amount of compensation will depend on the extent of your injuries and how they have impacted your life. Damages may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
How long do I have to file a claim after a bicycle accident?
In Oregon, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years from the date of the accident. However, it's important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible after a bicycle accident so that they can begin investigating your case and building a strong claim on your behalf. Waiting too long could result in important evidence being lost or destroyed, which could weaken your case.